The history of spring rolls comes from cultures all over the world. But it’s not a native food of the Hmong people. It was adopted from eastern and southern Asian cultures. This light, delicious, and healthy cuisine is a favorite among many – probably because there are no set ingredients that you MUST use. For example, iowagirleats.com uses tofu and avocado. And there’s even a whole category of fried spring rolls as seen in norecipes.com. So I want to share with you how I like to make my fresh spring rolls.
Meet the Main Ingredients
These ingredients will go inside the spring rolls.
This is the kind of vermicelli noodles that I will be using.
And this is the kind of rice paper that I will be using. You can find this and the vermicelli noodles at your local Asian super market.
Step 1: Preparation
- Vermicelli Noodles
- Cook in boiling water – 15 minutes
- Rinse with cold water
- Allow noodles to drain
- Shred vegetables (except cilantro)
- Prepare shrimp – I’m using pre-cooked shrimp
- Bowl of warm sink water (Used to soak rice paper)
- Flat surface to roll spring rolls on
- I used a cutting board wrapped in foil
Step 2: Let’s Get Rolling
1. Soak rice paper in warm water for 5-10 seconds.
2. Lay rice paper on prepared surface.
3. Arrange ingredients in middle of rice paper.
4. Fold the two sides of the rice paper in.
5. Fold bottom side (closest to you) of rice paper up.
6. Roll rice paper away from you until rolled up completely.
Step 3: Time to Get Saucy
- 1 part chunky peanut butter
- 2 part hoisin sauce
- Microwave peanut butter for 10 seconds till soft and stir in with hoisin sauce.
Ta-Da! Completed Fresh Spring Rolls!
Ideas for Alternatives/Substitutions
- Go vegan – substitute it with tofu or eliminate the shrimp completely
- Don’t like shrimp? Try ground pork or grilled chicken
- Want more variety of veggies? How about spinach, basil, green onion, celery, or mint?
- Try using bean thread noodles or rice noodles as an alternative
I’d like to know what ingredients you would or have put in your spring rolls! Please comment them below.